Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Ed's Mini Book Review - Armada by Ernest Cline

I really should do a review of "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline as it was one of my favorite reads of the past few years. I read it last year so I am not so sure how the review would end up since I don't have the best memory to remember some of the little details. Oh, right, this is a review for "Armada", Cline's follow-up to "Ready Player One", so I should talk about that a bit, huh?

I am a little torn on this one. It is basically a modern version of "The Last Starfighter" (an 80's classic film if I do say so myself) and the book does acknowledge this. So, it's a bit of a re-hash/rip off on one end but the update, using MMO's instead of an arcade game, and of course, all of the 80's references are sweet. Speaking of the 80's stuff, it seemed a bit forced and a little of a stretch to have them be an integral part of the story but if you're a sucker for all things 80's like I am, you get past that weak point.

Bottom line, is if you liked "Ready Player One", you'll like "Armada" though it is a step down. If you've not read "Ready Player One", go do that. If you're not inclined to but love the idea of an 80's nostalgia, MMO inspired, sci-fi coming of age story, then you might want to give "Armada" a shot.

My Grade: B-

LL


No comments:

Post a Comment