Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Why do we Blog?

Why do people blog? Is it because we all think we have something important to say? Is it because many of us fancy ourselves as writers? Is it just something to do, to toil away the hours in our mundane lives?

Maybe it's therapeutic in some sort of way. It's an outlet for what bothers us in life. Ever see those blogs where all the writer does is complain about this and that, their life, some other persons life, government, society and blah blah blah? Yeah, I hate those too but that's not the point of this blog here (or I'd be just like those cats).

The point is to throw out there the question at hand, why do it. A fellow librarian here started a blog and that's what got me thinking about it. Why did he do it? Maybe it was to trump up professional cred as it is a library themed blog talking about new search tools and the like. Maybe he was bored and started it on a whim.

Me? I guess I started this thing for all of the reasons above. I think I have something to say, even if it is silly and juvenile, which is most of what I say. I fancied myself as a writer back in the day as my English degree will attest. Sometimes I need to vent, and being in a library is not the primo place to vent on anything, but this blog won't be about venting (or ventis though there may be something down the line about the greatness that is the Venti Ice Frapp on a hot and humid day). I tend to write when I am bored so that may be a bit of a reason and I am doing this on a bit of a whim. Ok, that isn't exactly true, I started thinking about starting a blog after seeing Jule & Julia (I know my man cred just took a hit there but whatev) a couple of weeks ago and I started thinking about it more and more the last day or so. Hey, that movie made it look like so much fun and easy so mashing up all the reasons to do it, I decided to take the plunge (and Amy Adams was just too cute in that movie).

So those are my reasons. I'm sure I'll be duly motivated to keep up with this and will probably talk about all sorts of things like issues in librarianship and stuff that comes up while I am doing the librarian thing but also things that interest me like movies (I go to the movies way too often), funny stuff or at least stuff I think are funny and, oh yeah, BOOKS.

So, why do you blog? If you don't, then why don't you? It's easy to set up and we all have something to say and I'm sure it's more than just 140 characters long.

No comments:

Post a Comment